Bergen’s Promise and the Bergen County Board of Social Services (BCBSS) teamed up to show their support of Domestic Violence Awareness Month by wearing
purple, the official color of the campaign.
Team wearing purple
Are YOU in a healthy relationship?
Good communication is essential for establishing and maintaining a healthy relationship. Do you speak and listen with your eyes, ears and voice? Using ‘I’ messages and being aware of body language, tone and inflection while speaking to, and/or while listening to your partner shows respect and helps to avoid miscommunication. In a healthy relationship…
• You show each other mutual respect by valuing each other’s wishes and feeling.
• You give each other the benefit of the doubt to demonstrate a deeper level of trust in each other.
• You are comfortable sharing your dreams, fears, and concerns with each other non-judgmentally.
• You both are willing to acknowledge different points of view, and reach compromise.
• You take time to understand each other’s feelings and do not put each other down.
• You respect each other’s physical space and feel safe in each other’s presence.
• Both of you maintain friends, activities or hobbies outside of the relationship.
Help is available by calling 800-572-SAFE (7233). The New Jersey Statewide Domestic Violence Hotline, funded by our department -- Department of Children and Families (DCF), is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Bilingual and accessible to the deaf and hearing impaired.
For more domestic violence information and resources, including programs that provide emergency shelter, housing, advocacy, information, referral services, children's services and more visit and share the DCF Domestic Violence Services page.
Healthy vs. Unhealthy Relationships. (n.d.). Retrieved September 30, 2015, from http://dasas.net/dating_violence/healthy_vs_unhealthy_relationships
Fout, Debra. "Relationships: Healthy or Unhealthy." Columbus State Community College. Web. 30 Sept. 2015. http://www.cscc.edu/services/counseling/pdf/CS_Healthy vs Unhealthy Relationships.pdf