With May being both Mental Health Awareness and Employee Health and Fitness month, Bergen’s Promise staff were very involved in wellness initiatives!
Our annual Employee Wellness Fair hosted 15 different organizations that represented all 8 dimensions of wellness. This was a great way for staff to familiarize themselves with resources that are available to assist their efforts to balance all dimensions of wellbeing. This kind of support creates greater morale and productivity. According to a survey by the American Psychological Association, 91% of employees at companies that support well-being say they feel motivated to do their best.
The Wellness Committee also integrated “Wellness Walks” into the work week. Employees voluntarily take a short walk outside the office to discuss different wellness topics that might be relevant to the families they serve. Topics included diet, smoking, hydration, stress, and many others. A study in The Lancet found that physical inactivity has become more costly and deadly than smoking. This is a great activity to combat physical inactivity with exercise and wellness education.
Furthermore, employees are encouraged to take advantage of our Employee Assistance Program (EAP). The EAP provides professional services through programs, web services, and trainings. This helps employees address a variety of personal, family, life and work-related issues such as:
- Clinical Support for Any Emotional Issue (Emotional Wellness)
- Child, Elder and Pet Care Referrals (Environmental Wellness)
- Legal and Financial Consultation (Financial Wellness)
- Education Referrals and Resources (Occupational Wellness)
- Referrals for Grief Counseling (Emotional Wellness)
- Health and Wellness Resources (Physical/Intellectual Wellness)
- Veteran-Specific Support (Emotional/Physical Wellness/Spiritual)
- Community-Based Resource Referrals (Social Wellness)
Through the promotion of wellness in the office, we strive to create a positive culture and set a positive example for the families that we serve. We want families to know that as an organization, we put into practice sustainable wellness goals in order to enable and strengthen all 8 dimensions of wellness.